EPA was established under the Ministry of Natural Resources Development and Environmental Protection (MNRD&EP), in May 1994. Later, EPA as environmental regulatory and monitoring body has become independent institution and re-established by proclamation no. 295/2002. Its head quartered at Addis Ababa, ETHIOPIA.
Ensure that a participatory environmental management for sustainable development governs the use of environmental resources by the present and future generations in each sector at each administrative level.
Put in place an environmental management system that could support the national development efforts by avoiding duplication of efforts among stakeholders, promoting sustainable utilization of environmental resources and strengthening coordinated but differentiated responsibilities through:
· Preparing the State of Environment Report;
· Development of environmental strategic plan;
· Formulation of environmental laws and standards;
· Provision of support for environmental regulatory bodies and implementers; and
· Undertaking monitoring and effectiveness evaluation of the environmental system in place
The objective of the Authority is to formulate policies, strategies, laws and standards, which foster social and economic development in a manner that enhance the welfare of humans and the safety of the environment sustainably, and to spearhead in ensuring the effectiveness of the process of their implantation.